As part of the EDTC300 course this semester, we were challenged to learn a new skill using online resources. I decided to challenge myself to learn to embroider. This was something I have been wanting to do for sometime now, so why not try it now. I feel extremely privileged to have the online resources to learn this new skills. There were so many blogs, videos and resources online to help me with me learning project.
This is a summary of my learning experience:
Week One: One week one I decided the embroidery would be my project of choice. I made a rough draft plan of what my next steps would be, which where to watch videos and familiarize myself with embroidery, practice basic stitches and get some supplies.
Week Two: Week two I went out and purchased my supplies that I would need for this project which was thread, embroidery hoops, fabric, needles, and some scissors. I also revisited my plan to lead up to my final embroidery piece.
Week Three: Week three I watched some online tutorials on basic stitches. I proceeded try out these stiches and get familiar with stitching. Something I did notice was I was having a hard time staying in a straight line. To correct this I drew on my fabric as a guideline.
Week Four: Week four we were challenged to find a new learning resource. Mine was an app I found called “Embroidery by Arlene Crafts”. This app was helpful and taught me some new stiches and new patterns for my embroidery project.
Week Five: Week five I moved onto something more challenging and gave my best try and embroidering leaves and also completed a basic piece. I followed tutorials and YouTube and also looked for some inspiration on Pinterest.
Week Six: Week six I looked for more resources to grown my learning about embroidery. I came across 3 different blogs, Martha Stewart, Sublime Stitching and The Spruce Crafts. I found Sublime Stitching the most helpful and used that resource for the rest on my learning journey.
Week Seven: Week seven I took sometime to think about what I wanted to do for my final piece. I found some patterns online but at the end of the day I wanted the artwork to be my own, so I drew up a design that I wanted to be on my final embroidery piece. I also found a new learning resource which was Skill Share.
Week Eight: Week Eight I transferred my design onto my fabric and got started with the first few stiches. Since this was a more complex piece than the others one’s I have completed I came across new challenges, like getting tangled up a lot. I searched the internet and came across a video that shows what to do when you get tangled and how to correct your work.
Week Nine: Week Nine I continued to work on my piece and little by little it all started coming all together. One of the things I underestimated when before learning to embroider was how time consuming it really is.
Week Ten: Week ten I was able to complete my project. Although it was very time consuming I am really happy with how it turned out. I also came across another learning curve which was the threads showing through the front. Again I turned to technology and searched for a way to fix this and was able to correct it.
I am really happy with my learning journey, as I was able to use the online resources available to me to learn a new skill. Below are my projects I was able to complete this semester. I think this is an activity I will continue to pursue, I think they would make good presents or décor to my house.